Wednesday, September 07, 2005

a poem by Catherine


Where I'm From

I am from a village full with trees
and winding roads through grass of green,
from springtime‘s rain and summer’s storms.
Where the fall wind blows,
through the golden leaves
and where winters are packed with snow.

I am from no TV during dinner time
and a story for when I go to bed.
I am from French fries on a Sunday
and Belgium chocolate on my bread.

I am from hours playing with Duplo
and rolling in the grass,
from making snowmen
and playing a game with the neighbors
or driving the go-cart in the yard.
I am from playing at my Friend’s farm
and jumping on her trampoline.

I am from small classes with chalkboards
and from a land with three languages
which are: Dutch, French and German.
I am from Belgium!

Catherine Van Brande
in imitation of “Where I’m From” by George Ella Lyon